Sunday, 30 November 2014

Hohenzollern Castle.

Burg Hohenzollern, Germany,
November 30, 2014.



Honestly I didn't expect to visit another castle in Germany especially when I had my thesis submission deadline on the next day, plus, I will leave Germany in a few weeks.

It was kinda last minute decision when I coincidentally met our program coordinator at the train station, and she persuaded me to join the christmas excursion, the more the merrier (or the more the cheaper we pay for bus and entrance fee hahaa). So yea, I stayed up till 4 in the morning to prepare my last minute poster for submission, just because I want to join them! After all, this would be my last get together with fellow coursemates, I guess. Sobs.

So, my #misimencariistana continues here, Hohenzollern Castle, located approximately 50 kilometres south of Stuttgart, on top of Berg Hohenzollern, at an elevation of 855 metres above sea level, 234 metres above the towns. And now lets get to the castle's history.


First castle: The first Medieval castle of the House of Hohenzollern was mentioned for the first time in 1267. However the castle appears to date back to the 11th century. In 1423, the castle was besieged for over a year by troops from the Swabian Free Imperial Cities. On 15 May 1423, the castle was finally taken and totally destroyed. Of the first castle only written records still exist.
Second castle: In 1454, construction on the second castle began. While this castle was much stronger than the first, during the Thirty Years’ War (1618–1648) it was captured by Württemberg troops in 1634. Following the Thirty Years’ War the castle was under Habsburg control for about a century. During the War of the Austrian Succession (1740–1748), the castle was occupied by French soldiers during the Winter of 1744/45. Following the war, the Habsburgs continued to own the castle, but it was rarely occupied. When the last Austrian owner left the castle in 1798 it began to totally fall to ruins. By the beginning of the 19th century the castle was a ruin, with only the Chapel of St. Michael remaining usable.
Third castle: The castle was rebuilt by Crown-Prince (and later King) Frederick William IV of Prussia. During a trip to Italy in 1819, he travelled through southern Germany and wished to learn about his family’s roots, so climbed to the top of Mount Hohenzollern. Construction began in 1850, and was funded entirely by the Brandenburg-Prussian and the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen lines of the Hohenzollern family. Seventeen years later construction was completed on 3 October 1867 under Frederick William IV’s brother King William I. The castle was damaged in an earthquake on 3 September 1978, and was under repair until the mid-1990s.
Obviously this aerial view photo is not mine. credit photo: healthytravelblog.com
It was such a lovely evening, though a bit colder since we were above the cloud! But it was fascinatingly beautiful. I was in awe.

I just couldn't get enough of this. I was posing behind, and the boys in front were passing by like they are at Beatles Walk LOL!
credit photo: Aziza

The nice blue sky turned into grey and dark, and freezing COLD! So we stayed in the church, but didn't take long until we get back to the bus.


It was very unfortunate that they were having Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market) at the castle area, and the guided tour inside the castle was not available in the meantime. Ohh dear.

Nevertheless, it was great to join and have fun with coursemates I haven't met for quite a long time (5 months perhaps?) since I didn't attend any class for this final semester.


P.s. Did I mention tomorrow is the deadline for my thesis report submission??? OMG.



with love,

No comments: